.

Welcome to my Blog

Here I post about fancy costumes, shows, and fun things.
Please visit www.jvonstratton.com for full site.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Jungle Exotica

I recently performed at the 10th Anniversary of Seattle's Moisture Festival.  A month long extravaganza featuring acrobats and performers from around the world.
Alan Plotkin filmed my act on the opening night of the Libertease burlesque event.

Here, I pay a little homage to the artful styling of Cyd Charisse, in an act inspired by one of the dances in the 1958 film Party Girl.
"Exotica" was a pop culture phenomenon in the late 50's and 60's.  It was the non-native, pseudo experience of exotic locations and cultures, envisioned by westerners.  It was popularized in many films and music.  Martin Denny was a composer who stood at the forefront of the Exotica genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment